Friday, February 15, 2008

My little valentine is 1!

Since I did not post about Haven's first birthday, I'll talk about his first year now. It was about Valentine's day last year that I was starting to feel like myself again - ten days after his birth. The pregnancy and recovery were like a good dream, the labor was a tale of torture, but that's alright. It was, of course, all worth it.

Fourteen memories I will treasure from your first year, Haven:

1. Seeing your face for the first time. I knew I would love you for every day of the rest of my life.

2. Learning together how to nurse you. I was so frustrated that it was not working and I remember one day you just threw your head back and started to scream. I thought, I'm like that too. When things are tough, I just cry. It made me wonder how many times I would see myself in you.

3. Dressing you up for Valentine's day! You were such a good sport about it all!

4. Nursing you during lunch breaks while you were in daycare. I missed you so much, I went back to work red-faced for a long time. We were so happy to huddle behind that stupid partition on that folding chair and be together.

[I'm already crying.]

5. Introducing you to new foods. You make the best expressions! Often you scrunched up your face in discust, and then popped your mouth open for another bite.

6. Watching you sleep.

7. Dressing you in all of those cute clothes we received as gifts and posing you for pictures.

8. Your first deep laugh. It was while Uncle Manny and Daddy were playing with you.

9. Seeing your personality emerge. You are so outgoing, friendly, thoughtful...

10. The first time you sat in the shopping cart at the grocery store. I wanted to make a public anouncement that this was a first. You looked so impressed with your view of the store.

11. The way your face lights up when I come home or come pick you up from somewhere.

12. High fives. You love the sound.

13. Taking walks in our old neighborhood. You just stared at me from your stroller. I usually stared back, but sometimes I had to look up so that we didn't crash.

14. Your first steps! I was absolutely stunned. I thought they would never come.

5 comments:

Karenkool said...

Ok--that valentine photo is soooo adorable.

What a great post.

Christin said...

I love that you write these things down. Believe it or not, you would forget them otherwise, regardless of how much you assure yourself you'll never.

I'm always amazed when we go back and watch homevideos of the girls. I ALWAYS think..."man, I forgot about that!"

Haven, I have to say, you just get cuter and cuter. gotta love that hair!!

merry said...

damn that kid is cute.

Foxy5 said...

Oh, I love the "memory lane" type posts. Haven is SUCH a cutie!

Jen said...

What a great post. Now print it and put it in his baby book!!! I remember finding your blog not long after you had Haven and I remember thinking what a cutie he was. He just keeps getting cuter every day!!! Happy Belated Birthday Haven!!!