Thursday, January 22, 2009

Thoughts on Motherhood, Before & After

Before I became a mom, I thought: If I'm nice to my kids they will always be nice to others.
After: Oh man, he's figuring out how to be selfish all on his own.

Before: If I give my kids a variety of foods, they will not be picky eaters.
After: Really, Maiya? You won't keep one bite of cottage cheese in your mouth?

Before: How expensive can children be? I'm sure it's not too much.
After: What?! Diapers are more than the electric bill?

Before: I will be able to relate to most moms when I have kids of my own.
After: Wow, there are a lot if different ways to do this.

Before: I won't be one of those moms who goes out looking like a mess.
After: I have both indoor and outdoor sweatpants.

Before: I would never feed my children fast food.
After: Burger King has a veggie burger and apple slices, we're there.

Before: Drive thru's are for lazy people.
After: Yes, I'll drive 10 miles out of the way to go to a drive-thru bank. Even when gas was $4/gallon.

Before: I'll make everything from scratch so they can have the healthiest food available.
After: Hm, this prepackaged stuff looks pretty healthy.

Before: I won't be a nervous mom, I'm sure they'll be just fine.
After: Maiya has been sleeping a while, I better go make sure she's alright, and risk waking her.

Before: I won't be one of those moms who can't stop talking about her kids.
After: This blog, case in point.

What else? What did you think before you became a mom?

6 comments:

Janet said...

I thought staying in touch with people I love would be easier... With two kids who don't take naps, one of whom I homeschool, phone calls have gotten more difficult even impossible on some days. By the time I school and play with the kids, keep house, run errands and plan dinner there are days that I feel lucky I had time to breathe. Oh, and showers just don't seem as important as they used to. The question now is "Exactly how greasy does my hair look?" I miss you, friend.

Anonymous said...

awesome post. am i allowed to blogroll you? don't be afraid to say no.
very funny.
totally lol.
let's get together soon.
karen's next week?

Christin said...

Uh? I don't even remember the "before" anymore. How sad is that? I've completely morphed into The Mom. The before-girl (and her in shape body) is gone gone gone....


;)

Emily said...

i never thought this would happen so fast! 2 years and 3 kids later... wow. but i thought the transition into motherhood would be rougher... it happened as naturally as breathing. that being said, it is much harder than i thought it would be, to be in this state, to give up so much, so much time, energy, sleep, personal space, mental space, 30 min showers, evenings out, etc. it will get easier, i know, once they are all older, but man! most days i don't think about it much, but when i do, i'm amazed by the differences in our lifestyle!

Lori said...

I definitely have indoor and out door sweatpants.
Before: I refuse to look like a slob!
After: Just wore a hat to cover my hair and sweatpants covered in spit up to the doctors office. Hope no one looks too closely.
Before: I won't let kids ruin my bedroom life... I'm sure there are ways to be creative.
After: I had NO IDEA I could be so tired that even an innocent peck on the cheek from hubby would make me nervous that more was hoped for.
So there's a few of mine!

Valerie said...

Oh, I liked this.

Before: I would never take my (future, non existent) kids out in public looking less than perfect
After: What? One has jelly on their face and the other has spaghetti sauce on his shirt? We ate lunch today, what do you expect? :)

Great list Jen.