Thursday, May 17, 2007

Way to go, Joe.

I decided in January, as I have many times before, that I would read through the Bible this year. It's mid-May and I'm only up to Joseph in Genesis, but I'm okay with it, so don't judge me. I've heard his story in so many Sunday school classes - the multicolored coat, thrown into a pit by his brothers, sold as a slave and thrown into jail after he was falsley accused - I could tell you his story in my sleep, like any good little church girl. Today, though, the story left me with a few thoughts.

Joseph's life was crappy for a long time. His own brothers turned on him. His boss's wife tried to have an affair with him and when he said no, she accused him of assaulting her. He was helpful to people in prison, and they forgot about him when they were released. These are not fun things. These are not things we consider blessings from God, typically. These are the type of things that cause us to question our faith.

The remarkable thing is that Joseph did not let go of his faith. He did not place a value judgement on God based on his circumstances. He continued to do good to others. He continued to believe God.

Ultimately, God seriously took care of Joseph, both financially and with a family. But you know, I think Joseph's deep understanding of the strength and goodness of God helped him only to more understand the character of God.

2 comments:

Karenkool said...

Yea--I hate that story! hahah JK. It's one I should go back and look into once again!!!

Jen said...

It always makes me wonder if I was put through all those things, would I still have my strong faith or would it be shaken a little? Hhhmmm..