Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Bored much?

We had a fun weekend in Delaware with our friends Janet, Andy and their two kids. Haven had a great time traveling around their house and was rivetted by their boys (ages 2 and 4). He laughed a lot, which made me laugh a lot.

We are home now. Again. As usual. Doing our normal thing. Breakfast. Blocks. Maybe a show (we like to cheer for people on American Idol). I told Janet that I think Haven gets bored at home with just me, she said, "Well, don't you get bored with just him?" I have my moments.

Now that he takes two naps a day, we have a window of about 2 hours in which to get out of the house each day, before we're in the danger zone (read: if he falls asleep in the car, forget about the afternoon nap and any cranky-free time with Daddy later). Since we live about 15 minutes from most stores, this limits us. We're getting to know the librarians well.

I know. I've absolutely captivated you with these thoughts.
There is nowhere I'd rather be, though. I'd rather stare blankly at Haven and wonder what to do next than be a thriving professional. For now. This is the time to be home and it's good. The identity storm I've battled the past few months is starting to subside.

4 comments:

Emily said...

Ah, yes, THE WINDOW. very limiting. that is why I sit at home and daydream about running errands.

Karenkool said...

Funny, but now that my kids are all in school and I have "free time" to go do the things I might want to do, I stay at home. Weird!

I think the whole mommy-hood role takes a few years of adjustments and breaking down all of our ambitions and dreams... and then... we surrender to it. Upon surrender, life takes on a whole new meaning. It's probably a bit different for everyone.

Jen said...

How could you get bored staring into those big brown eyes?! He is such a cutie. Can't wait to see what your little girl looks like. You are creating little heart breakers right there!

Christin said...

Ahh...you're a ripe one, Jen. God's got your heart right where he wants it. And I'm thinking he may want to surprise you with a few things that you had no idea he had for you. Embrace this down time (I know its hard...trust me, I know!) as much as you can.

And before too long, Haven will be running around with Baby Girl. None of you will remember what boredom felt like. ;)