Friday, April 04, 2008

I got this. I hope.

There are times when I can feel the full weight of my responsibilities. I cannot remember a time when I was not responsible for something, or, at least, thought I was. It is hard to remember what it was like to have the singular responsibility to clean my bedroom, or serve coffee, or pay $250 for rent. Even the more complex responsibilities of working full time as a newlywed feel simple.


Haven sits with his book basket next to the fire place. He digs through the hard-paged stories, opens one, babbles for a moment, then turns to the next. He looks at them upside down, right side up; he studies them. I am aware that he is my greatest responsibility ever, in both the large and wonderful senses of the word.

A new responsibility I have is as the leader of two groups at the counseling center. I have led groups before, but those were about social skills, personal boundaries, grooming and hygiene - concepts I like to think I understand thoroughly. These groups, however, are on chemical abuse, addiction and recovery. Not something in which I planned to specialize.

It was more comfortable to silently write the progress notes for the group than it is to facilitate. But nobody promised comfort when I decided to become a therapist. (Don't think that I got a promotion. I'm still an unpaid intern who is simply covering for a maternity leave.) I cannot rattle off knowledge about the short and long term effects of various drugs, I cannot spout off various detox drugs and their own potential for addiction, I cannot even give a detailed description of local rehab centers. Okay, take a deep breath... I can, however, give a damn about the people in front of me and their recovery, I can expect change and rewrite treatment plans to accomadate the individual's needs, I can confront, I can encourage, I can keep myself from believing it is my job to fix them, I can create an environment that fosters change. And, well, I can look up that other stuff in a book and letcha know next week. I encourage myself that studies show novice therapists are often as effective as seasoned therapists, especially in behavioral-based therapies. I imagine this is because we are not burned out and we are eager to succeed.

I find that as my responsibilties grow in complexity, they also grow in fulfillment. If they do not, they probably are not worth my time. Of course, when I am scrubbing behind the toilet, I have to remember that it is only a part of the sublime job of being home with Haven full time. Sometimes it's in that big picture I find the rewards. They are there.

So, I will embrace this terrifying responsibility of a group therapist. This is why I started this whole school-thing, isn't it? My plan was to be a missionary, to offer hope. I realized a college education would be an asset. So, I hit the books. That was seven years of education ago. At least 50 college-level classes. You'd think I would feel slightly more confident.

8 comments:

Christin said...

based on your list of what you Can Do...I'd say you sound like a pretty competent therapist. and a hugely empathetic person. Which I happen to agree...is the best asset.

Foxy5 said...

Sounds like a good list of "can do's"

and

you scrub behind your toilet?! What are you doing next Tuesday? ;)

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
jason j said...

Funny how 7 (or 9 in my case) years of college can still leave you feeling unprepared.. I know I feel that way from time to time.

Even if you're not the foremost expert, you're much better prepared than most, and you care about the patients, so that counts for something, right?

Jen said...

Valerie - maybe I should clarify. I don't so much scrub as I occassionaly swipe at it with the mop.

Jason - Haven did well without us, though he was happy to see us again! I left a very clear schedule for him and my sister kept to it and it sounds like he had a great time!

jason j said...

Thats inspiring.. was that his first time away from you guys?

Maybe we can try to do that with Susan's siter and husband before the new guy is born. We've both been feeling like we need a good getaway before the new guy comes and consumes our lives (in a good way) this June.

Mr. Maciejewski said...

Hey Jen,

Just read your blog on being a therapist and loved your honesty and vulnerability... I often feel like this when I am teaching students who need so much but have so little... I've found my simpling Being there with them is the greatest gift I can ever give them or anyone else... I imagine many of the patients you work with benefit from you Being there...