Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Two Kids.

"I've pretty much lost control of my life." I hear myself telling my friend, "But it's good."

The thing about losing control is the realization that I never had it in the first place. I just had time to maintain a nice dellusion.

Both of my children are asleep, which I hope becomes more regular in the weeks to come. During the day, when it's just me at home, they like to do relay naps. Thanks, guys, no, I don't need a moment to myself.

I remember the realization hit me like a backhand slap when Haven was an infant - motherhood is a sacrifice. It is also a million wonderful things, but let's face it, people, it's a sacrifice of you-name-it. Body, sleep, career, time, money, showers.... When I was in YWAM the theory about challenges was that God was trying to teach something. I can think of as many lessons I need to learn as projects on my endless to-do list. I'll put it this way: I never realized how flawed I am until I became a mother. I don't say this to insult myself, I say it solemnly, with the realization that we are raising little mirrors.

On a lighter note, Maiya smiles all the time now. At all of us. I caught one on camera and it's on the sidebar. Haven loves her and this morning he entertained her while I did my morning hygiene routine (brushed my hair and teeth). The sweetness between the two of them is great.

3 comments:

Karenkool said...

Awwwww look at that adorable smile. I remember those daze.

merry said...

You have some pretty adorable kids. DO you guys want to take part in our camping fun again this year?

Jen said...

I can't believe how big Maiya is getting already!!! They grow too fast. Don't worry, one day you will look back on all this and just smile and wish your kids were little again. I find myself doing that now and mine are only 4 and 8!!!!