Monday, September 28, 2009

Good Deals

With my new education on managing money, I have become even more frugal. I know, some of you are saying, "How is this possible?" and others are saying, "I guess I can expect a bag of rocks for Christmas." What if they're pretty rocks?

Anyway, yesterday I stole the show with a sweep up at a certain department store that starts with the letter K. While cleaning my room the other day (miracle)I found a pair of shorts I never wore. I bought them early in the summer and grabbed the wrong size, so they were set aside to eventually return.

While Dave vegged out in front of football and the kids napped, I toted the shorts back to the store and was granted a $29 store credit. I began digging through the clearance racks in the kids department, then the men's department and then, since I couldn't leave myself out, the women's department. I left the store with something for everyone: 2 shirts and 1 pair of pants for Maiya, 1 pair of jeans for Haven, a nightgown for myself (I'm girly, accept it, I have) and 2 t-shirts for Dave. I paid $3 on top of my store credit.

Not too shabby. Especially in exchange for a pair of ill-fitting shorts.

While I'm bragging, I might as well tell you about some other great finds I've recently made. Trash picking is not best thing that a girl in New Jersey can do for her reputation, but I'm not a Jersey Girl at heart. So, when I saw someone throwing away a perfectly good deck chair and table, I loaded it in the car and have been enjoying on an almost daily basis.

Another day I was driving around town and found a swingset on the curb, sporting a FREE sign.

And just today I found a small cabinet, just what I've been looking for, sitting curbside. Waiting for my frugal fingers to pick it up, dust it off, give it a couple of touch-ups with a black marker, and call it mine.

So, I continue to "shop" but in more (what's a good word for it?) creative ways. I don't think I will ever regret saving money, but I have certainly felt the sting of regret after spending it.

8 comments:

Dave said...

Kohl's is considered a department store?

Jen said...

It's a store, and it has different departments. So ... I think so.

Karenkool said...

Good job JEN! woohoo.

Jen said...

My husband LOVES city wide clean up! One year he found our Honda mower with a bagger on it. The only thing wrong was that a cable need to be replaced......he had that in the garage. Go figure. Another year he found me a table, painted it and put a new top on it and stained those and I use it in my dinning room to put pictures and plants on it. There is nothing wrong with being frugal. I hit second hand stores all the time and find some great finds!! Good for you and enjoy your treasures!!!

Jenny said...

well played friend, well played.

Rebecca A said...

Dude sweet swingset...for free!

Christin said...

A girl after my own heart. LOVE LOVE LOVE It!!!

And fyi, I so do intend to email you back. I'm just wayyy behind on emails. And I REALLY want to write you, not just do a quickie thing. :)

Jessica said...

oh i miss the free things on the side of the road in new jersey. none of that here in utah!