Friday, September 18, 2009

Potty time at our house


Potty training is one of those things that you do in life that reflects your personality. Every mom I know who has even attempted it, had a different method. So, in the past few months I've listened and read and now I'm writing my own script.


Before two of his baths last week, Haven stripped off his clothes, sat on the potty that has been gathering stray hairs for months, and peed. Like it was nothing. Like it was part of his routine. I screamed and threw a party (bathroom style) and he smiled.


Then, suddenly, came his conviction that he could do everything himself. When he began to shriek "ALL BY MYSELF!" about anything from climbing into his carseat to washing his hair, I decided that pooping and peeing is something he is welcome to do all by himself. Thus I realized that while he may have been ready for potty training for a couple of weeks, I finally had the will to do it as well.


We're going gradually. I anticipate that this will take a while (weeks, months) and that's okay with me. Any progress is progress (says the therapist). Today he kept a pull-up dry for over 4 hours. Yesterday, however, he was wearing tighty-whities and peed on Dave twice within an hour. We're in the sit-on-the-potty-every-half-hour phase.

So, our style is slowly, no pressure. I'll be the one carrying loads of tighty-whities back and forth to the washer.


Feel free to leave your tips for potty training! What worked with your little guy or girl? What didn't work?

7 comments:

Jessica said...

All I have are two cats...And when one started peeing in the sink it was because he had these painful mats on his back and didn't want to use the kitty door to get to his litter cause it scraped them.

Haven doesn't have matted fur on his back, does he? :-)

Valerie said...

Yeah, I don't have any great words of wisdom. I think I just lucked out completely with all 3 of mine. Joseph and I argued one day when he was about 2 1/2. I wanted him to pee on the potty, he did not. I won, he peed. Only wore diapers to bed after that day. No real accidents either. Nehemiah was older, he was almost 4. He is a little behind and didn't show signs of being ready, and had little vocabulary to let me know if he needed to go. One day, he went. With just a few accidents he switched to undies in a matter of a day or 2. (let's not talk about pooping though, ok? That took a lot longer) Hannah did it all by herself at about 18 months. The girl just liked to be naked. Hopefully this next baby will be just as easy because if I actually have to come up with a plan I won't have a clue what to do.

Good luck!

Valerie said...

PS I somehow forgot to mention that those pictures of Haven are adorable! He is just the cutest little boy!!

Emily said...

ha! I am still not ready and the girls will be 3 in november... they go when they want to, on their little pink potties, and when I feel brave enough to put them in undies, I think it will go pretty well, as long as I make them go every 30 minutes... that being said, I am lazy, and I hate being inconvenienced, so it may be a while before they go shopping with me wearing undies!

Jen said...

UGH.....potty training. I am glad my potty training days are over except Cooper still wears a pull up at night. The kid sleeps so sound that his bed wouldn't stand a chance of staying dry if he didn't. It is true what they say.....when the child is ready, they will just all of a sudden stay dry all the time. Good luck and never get frustrated with them or they will get frustrated and quit!

Consuela said...

Consuela suggests:

http://tinyurl.com/ktqnxt

Read the user review!

hahahahaha

Rebecca A said...

Those pics are precious!! Congrats to Haven peeing on the potty!