Thursday, October 25, 2007

Velvet Elvis

In the words of my friend Kevin, Rob Bell "sums up my entire Christian faith in a few words." I've been thinking about the church and the various denominations and beliefs. While one church is staring at the sky awaiting the rapture another is casting demons of anybody with an attitude problem and still another is overly rigid in their routine. They all call themselves Christians. Yet, they are unfamiliar to me.

Velvet Elvis is a book about pure Christianity. Original Christianity, perhaps. I don't know what else to call it. It is about the life Jesus lived on earth. He talks about the culture of Jewish people at the time Jesus lived in it, and the explanations cast new lights on many familiar stories. He writes about the ways the church has misinterpreted Jesus throughout history. The book is both easy to read and thought provoking.

Our small group is going through a series of short films with Rob Bell called Nooma. He talks about Jesus as a real person. When the film ends, my thoughts are, "Yeah, that's the God I know. That is exactly why I'm a Christian." He talks about the things God is all about: truth, justice, love, compassion.

I recommend this book - as well as the video series - to anyone who is interested in learning more about the character of Jesus.

3 comments:

patti said...

We are looking into it and may use this cool resource! I like hearing the positive feedback to a resouce that I am considering using.....how cool is that! thanx jen!

Janet said...

You might want to check out this book too... It's called "Love Walked Among Us: Learning to Love Like Jesus" By Paul Miller. I can't comment on it but Emily highly recommends it and lent it to me. I haven't had a chance to read it yet, as I have been immersed in adoption books these days. Just thought you might be interested. Love ya.

Christin said...

I'm with you on that one! I'm not into the whole denominational line thing. ...I'll have to check those books out. One day. when my life allows me to sit down and read. ;)