Sunday, January 20, 2008

Grace (Eventually)

I found this book in my stocking this Christmas, and what an excellent find! The latest book from my favorite author, Grace (Eventually) by Anne Lamott, reminded me of the reasons that I love her. I tore through the chapters, and each one filled my mind with ideas of how I might word my own stories. My deep love for writing is renewed every time a read a captivating book.

I first fell in love with Anne Lamott's writing when I read Traveling Mercies, which could be considered the first in a trilogy of which Grace (Eventually) is the third. Both were filled with stories about seeing God in every day life, understanding His grace and personality. All of the stories are frank tales of the trials and joys of life. I was disappointed by the second book, Plan B, which was essentially a diatribe against George W Bush (I do not see the point of hating a politician). I was relieved to read Grace (Eventually), as it was about forgiveness and hope.

It's hard to explain why you like your best friend so much, and it's hard to explain why I love Anne Lamott's books so much. She says a lot of stuff that pisses me off (her thoughts on abortion made me so mad that I put the book down for a week). There is something about her, though, that I just get and it makes me feel that, somehow, the feeling is mutual. I recommened her completely, unless you only like to read things that align completely with your own belief system. I think you'll be challenged and certainly inspired.

In closing, I'll give you one of my favorite quotes from the book: A good marriage is one in which both people think that they got the better deal. (AL)

1 comment:

Christin said...

Love that quote!

...and I'm curious, what kind of book WOULD you write? :)