Wednesday, November 05, 2008

I love my Dad.

My Dad lives about a 3 hours drive away from us, and I don't get to see him as often as I would like. This past weekend, we went for a visit. Here are some pictures from our weekend, taken by Gail, my stepmom.




At the zoo...
Maiya & Me.
Dave & Haven
Our fam...



My Dad & Maiya...


About my Dad....
  • I can have a different opinion than his and he neither backs down nor tries to change my mind.
  • He cooks delicious food for me (with the exception of the eggs with scotch while I was pregnant, which he will never live down).
  • He laughs easily and often and loud.
  • I've never felt like I had to try to impress him - just being me is good enough.
  • Through his life he's taught me that time together is the best gift, I hope to pass this on to my children.
  • When I was growing up, he worked long and hard with little to spend on himself. Although he enjoys buying himself some toys these days (that is, fancy knives), I don't hear him complain about the years he raised us. He calls us, his four kids, his investments.
  • When we were growing up, he always concocted some herbal potion for us to drink when we were sick. Since we were homeschooled I never realized that most girls, when they had menstrual cramps, took Aleve and not a cup of crampbark tea.
  • How did your Dad embarrass you when you were a teenager? Mine practiced sword fighting in a dimly lit family room. Beat that.
  • He proudly identifies himself as a redneck. How a kid who grew up in Queens calls himself a redneck, I don't know, but he will always be 99% hippie to me.
  • He's strong, solid and reliable. And he attended all of my dance recitals with a bouquet of flowers in hand.

This would all be written more eloquently if I didn't have a baby squirming in my lap. In closing, I love you, Dad!

4 comments:

jes said...

dido! love you platis!

Rebecca said...

"When we were growing up, he always concocted some herbal potion for us to drink when we were sick. Since we were homeschooled I never realized that most girls, when they had menstrual cramps, took Aleve and not a cup of crampbark tea."

That made me laugh so hard! Haha :)

& I have to agree, we've got a pretty swell dad (:

lindsay said...

i miss the platis. those herbal potions worked and the martial arts were awesome. plat rocks. and i still can't figure out how he makes his tofu so perfectly.

Jen said...

Sounds like a great dad to me!!!