Friday, November 07, 2008

Parenting books, anyone?

I'm interested in reading some parenting books and would like to get a few suggestions. Of what I've read so far, I agree a lot with the books from Focus on the Family.

Two topics I'd like to read about:
  • Discipline (a loving, well-rounded approach).
  • Handling this tolerant world - teaching kids to both show love to all people and to maintain our own values and morals.

I'll take suggestions on other topics as well. I'm planning to read Bringing up Boys by Dobson next. I prefer books with authors who have some decent credentials - either formally (MDs, psychologists) or informally (successful parents). Please tell me why you liked the book and its title.

Thanks!

4 comments:

Aimee Esparaz said...

Hi there!

I stumbled upon your blog a few months ago and have been visiting once in a while although this is the first time I'm leaving a comment.

Two books for your two topics:

For discipline, Shepherding A Child's Heart by Tedd Tripp. It is a different approach to discipline in that it doesn't focus on correcting the behaviour but focuses on shepherding the heart, the wellspring of life (Proverbs 4:23).

For handling this tolerant world, Grace-Based Parenting by Tim Kimmel. I must say this one is my all-time favourite. Makes so much sense! A must read.

BTW, your kids are adorable! I have two myself but they're not babies anymore! They are 11 and 8.

Also, Bringing Up Boys by Dobson definitely was very helpful for hubby and me as we figured out how to raise a son!

Anonymous said...

i have a bunch of books that you could look at next time you come over.....that is if karen isn't currently borrowing them. have you read anything by dr. sears? i like those books because they (his wife is a nurse and writes sometimes too.)have a ton of kids who seemed to turn out well.
i think i have 2 of their books. you should check out my library.

Jenny said...

http://www.pirateparenting.com/
moohahaha :) just a little silliness.

Anonymous said...

there are at least five Dr William Sears books that have the words "christian parenting" in the title. One of them I had in the early nineties and I loved it. I loved their baby books too, but as regards discipline and parenting, the christian parenting one was definitely one of my favorites. Dr Sears and his wife are very HUMANE, yet they think that addressing/preventing negative behavior is very important.