Wednesday, April 08, 2009

A little thought.

Did anybody watch Oprah the other day? She talked about motherhood and had lots of funny moms talk about their lives. I loved it. My favorite part was the woman who said she cried when she had to buy a mini van. I want to watch it again. There was a lot of laughter.

What particularly struck me was the blogging mom who makes $40,000 a month ... selling ads on her blog. I wonder what I am doing wrong because I haven't received a penny for writing on this blog ...

I guess in addition to superb writing skills and time to write, I guess that the willingness to tell all to an Internet audience is imperative. Hm. For forty thou a month, I'd consider it.

I imagine we will look back on these years as the time that people became successful by selling their privacy. Consider shows such as Jon and Kate + 8. (For the record, I'm entertained by this show and I think you do what you need to do to support 8 children. If that leads to tremendous popularity, well, so be it. Good for them.) I wonder how many people in the end, after exposing their lives, would say that it was worth it. Would Jessica and Nick (Newlyweds)? I'm just curious, which is why I (we) watch these shows in the first place.

Anyway, would you give up your privacy for a big chunk of change?

6 comments:

Emily said...

I wouldn't for a TV show, but I would if it was all in writing... you could exercise some control, decide what to include, make stuff up, even! I would just like to feel that I am contributing some money to the household!

karen said...

u know my answer...absolutely not!
side note-I like the new blog set up amd the CUTE picture of Haven.
Is he practicing to be the ring bearer?!

Valerie said...

First of all, Haven is ADORABLE in that picture on your sidebar. It's impossible to look at it and not smile.

Jon & Kate Plus 8 makes me gag. I borrowed a season from the library and I couldn't watch it. It wasn't the kids that drove me crazy it was the parents. Do they ever hold a conversation where they are kind to each other?! Drove me crazy.
Anyway, since you asked, no I wouldn't go on reality tv. (Does Extreme Home Makeover count?) But I would (for $40,000 a month!?) blog. I can be in control of what is put out there. Have you ever read thepioneerwoman blog? She blogs like a mad woman. She doesn't hold back.. but she lives in the middle of nowhere. No crazed lunatic will ever find her. That makes a difference too.

jes said...

Jen, love your blog. I read it all the time. Know that I am a follower.

Jessica said...

Hey jen--your new layout looks so good and your pic is so pretty!

I, too, think there is a big different between Jess and Nick's newlywed reality show than a blog. Like has already been mentioned, a blogger can decided how much or little they want to share, whereas a reality show portrays you however the producers want you to be portrayed.

I would not do a reality show. I totally love to blog.

Dave said...

I'm with you Valerie. Kate makes me sick to my stomach the way she treats her husband.