Wednesday, August 06, 2008

August Days

We all could use a bath. I wonder what would happen if I plunked the three of us in one bubble bath. I picture Haven baptizing Maiya in bubbles. I picture shaving my legs while balancing an infant. I am confident that a bath is more likely to result in injury than in cleanliness. I decide to do it the old fashioned way, which is, not at all.

When Maiya pulls away, I lift her, pat her back for what feels like eternity, until she produces a ripe burp. Later, Haven burps in my face as I sing to him at nap time and I almost vomit. Maiya's burps however, still the result of nothing but breast milk, are almost sweet. She falls asleep with her ear pressed against my chest and my heart beat lulls her deeper into dreamland. Moments later, I lift us from the couch and Haven follows from his perch next to me. I put Maiya in her bed cozied by a pillow at her back. I look at Haven, who has already moved on to explore the one place in the kitchen where he can get to some pots. With a deep breath, I whisper a thankful prayer that I did not crumble into tears an hour previous when Haven was inconsolably whining and Maiya was happy with nothing less than my holding her.

Our house is unusually quiet, as our month-long string of visitors has just ended. I decide that after few days without company we will find the rhythm of a routine again. Actually, it may take weeks. The realization hits me as I finish the dishes I have already started three times this morning. I turn off the faucet to see pans strewn through the living room and the silence is interrupted by the crashing of two lids, a toddler symphony. I wonder if there is a childproof lock for the drawer beneath the oven.

We will take small steps these next few weeks. Cleaning the dishes might be a victory some days, and baths a revolution.

5 comments:

Jen said...

Jen~
Enjoy this time as much as possible. I find myself longing for the baby days again when Cooper is busy tormenting his sister while she is watching High School Musical. I remember the days of just Brooklyn and I napping all afternoon and dressing her up to show her off to family and friends. I remember when Cooper was just a baby and Brooklyn would help me feed him and wanted to always lay by him. Now some days they can't stand to be near each other and I miss the baby days. Maiya is beautiful and Haven will be such a good big brother to her. If you start to smell too bad, rub some dryer sheets on you and call it good! ;)

Christin said...

I'm with you. Who needs a bath/shower? I'm so waiting for the girls to be in middle school (maybe high school?) before I expect anything less than a sporatic cleaning of my body.

If only we were like the animals who could lick themselves clean at a moments notice. Which, by the way, my 2nd daughter was doing this morning.

I'm thinking SHE'S gotten creative in this "mommy never bathes us" thing I got going on. *wink*

Hang in there. From the sounds of it, you've got your priorities straight. :)

Rebecca said...

I think you are a great mother and I am positive that I will have you on speed dial when I have kids so you can pass along all your wisdom! I love you & I hope to see everyone again soon :)

Emily said...

ah, craziness... I am only in for more of it. at least now I can throw the girls in the bath together. Once little Maiya can sit up really well, maybe....

patti said...

good to catch up on what's going on in and around the Cardine's pad. sendin' some love your way!