Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Normal Things

After my exam at my 6 week postpartum check up, the doctor said, "Okay, everything is back to normal." I can only assume that when he said "everything" he meant to say "nothing."

A few days this week I have enjoyed more than stressed about the gigantic responsibility to TWO babies. I still don't know what to do when they're both crying, besides join in on the tears, but I'm working that out through trial and error.

Yesterday the three of us made it all the way to Brooklyn to visit Jes. I'm very proud of myself since I was working off of four hours of sleep. We walked around, had a picnic and I identified the various strollers we passed (in Brooklyn nobody owns your basic travel system). We made it home with just a short bout in bumper-to-bumper traffic with Maiya screaming her heart out and Haven saying "mo, mo" as he munched goldfish crackers. Maiya was soothed when I shut off the air and opened the windows so she could hear the oh-so-soothing sounds of New York City. Overall, two thumbs up for us.

I already have only faint memories of our family without Maiya. She just fits. She goes. She's just the person we were waiting for. She loves to cuddle, accepts Haven's less-than-dry kisses, loves fresh air and can howl like a coyote when she wants something. She took her first bath in the big tub last night - with me, sorry, no pictures - and loved it. We are waiting for her first "social" smile with baited breath. Everytime I think I see one, she spits up. What a little joker.

So, we're redefining our normal, and the definition is coming along just fine.

7 comments:

patti said...

Glad you had a good time in the city. And you are an awesome mom!!!! Did I happen to mention that she is beautiful!

Christin said...

Once again, I LOVE hearing all about the "normals" of your life! LOVE. IT.

You look GREAT. Have I mentioned that recently? Cause really. You do.

Foxy5 said...

I LOVE that picture of the 3 of you!
Your kids are adorable and you look amazing.

Cormac Custom Woodworking said...

jen, i should comment more often just to tell you that i love reading your blog -- your babies are beautiful and you look great.

Karenkool said...

Isn't it loverly? You are amazing! To the city? That means you can do just about anything.

Rebecca said...

I love the update! I agree, Maiya is a great fit =) I hope I get to see you all again soon

Lori said...

This encourages me. I have been having pre-birth emotional tremors at the thought of a whole new person crowding into our lives in just 10 weeks or less. But I suppose I'll be saying the same thing once she's here... "she just fits"!