Wednesday, March 04, 2009

Notes from the moutain people.

Yesterday we had a window salesman visit us. I asked for it. I made the appointment. You could argue that it's my fault. He was at our house for almost 3 hours and provided us with a host of information that was irrelevent when he finally got to the bottom line. Throughout his banter he made it clear that his windows were high end and that they just weren't for some people. I guess he thought we were "some people" because he made a few patronizing comments about blue collar workers and how his company sometimes sells windows to people who own homes that cost as little as 250k. We had not given him the price of our home, so I guess that was his best guess. I wanted to say that we were proud of our house and that we worked hard to buy it and we still work hard to own it. It's our first home and while it may not be very flashy, we're happy with it. But before I could get those words out, he was criticizing our windows (the ones we were not looking to replace) saying he could easily push them right out of our house.

This was obnoxious enough. But we were turned off only a few minutes after he arrived. He showed up early and said "Sorry I'm early, there's nowhere to hang out in the woods." Then he walked into the living room and said, "You guys are mountain people up here!" Maybe he said this because I was changing Maiya's diaper in the living room. I'm sure that didn't help.

Before he left he asked us a million questions about bears and if there would be one waiting outside by his car. We told him they were hibernating but I'm not sure he knew what that was.

It turns out his windows are for some people, some people that aren't us. They are high end and we aren't going to stay in our home long enough to make it worth the investment. We'll keep looking until we find someone with windows that suit our budget. And our decorum.

10 comments:

Rebecca said...

Wow what a rude guy! I love your house and I don't think your mountain people. He just had his nose stuck in the air...salespeople can be like that

Jessica said...

And what would be wrong if you were mountain people?!?! I bet there are tons of awesome mountain people out there;-)

Sounds like a truly off-putting guy; I am surprised he ever manages to sell windows to anyone at all.

Anonymous said...

haha - mountain people?!?!? he should have seen our parents 35 years ago. we are what you would call - classy!

oh, i guess it's all just relative huh.

Emily said...

What a terd. Or turd, Take your pick. way to go, you own a house! that's something to be proud of, for sure, regardless of the price bracket!

Anonymous said...

LIZ......
What are you talking about? 35 years ago was 1974, and I was just finishing up 2 years hitchhiking around the USA. Everything I owned fit in my pack, and it was the year I became a Christian.... now THAT'S classy!

Tell me YOUR stats!

Dave said...

[points at liz and laughs]

hehe

Anonymous said...

i got nutin. but come on - living in the woods, fishing in alaska... doesn't that count as cool mountain men? don't steal my dream now!

Anonymous said...

Liz, when did you live in the woods and fish in Alaska?
yes, that would certainly count as cool. That would put you on the map for sure!

merry said...

Um, Mike and I dream of living in a $250,000 house. I love our house, though. and I am sure your house is totally awesome.Whatever dude.What-ev-a.

Christin said...

yeah people like last in my house about 10 minutes. that's the point that I finally get over my shock and just throw them out. with some snide remark to run...before our pet bear gets him.

You know, since us Mountain people likes to keep our pets hungry for such a time as this. ;)

And I happen to LIKE changing my children on the floor. Much easier. We use our changing table for other things. like a place to pile clean clothes. or dirty. ...We're not particularly picky.

Personal opinion? I'd report his booty. rude salesman should be fired.