Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Give me some wine for that whine

Whining. Somebody, anybody, tell me how to stop this mind-numbing sound that emanates from my children. I bite my tongue because I know that expressing my feelings about it would only sink us all deeper into the Whine Pit. This morning I tried ignoring it. It worked. For three and a half seconds.

I don't want to point fingers at any particular member of this household, however ... Haven is not a big whiner but he is a copycat. I'll leave it at that.

The post-nap, pre-dinner hours are particularly screechy. Dinner preparation is losing all the joy it once held for me. And fast. Like, oops, oh, it's gone. I have tried appeasing them with snacks - then they don't eat dinner. I have tried appeasing them with a television show - then they lose it when I turn it off. I have tried giving them toys, free reign of the pots and pans cabinet, fun music .... not the mention the PILES of toys that are EVERYWHERE! No thanks, mom. We want your undivided ATTENTION! Won't dinner cook itself?

One night I ordered pizza and we played during the time that I would normally cook dinner. No whining. Hm.

My current options are stop cooking dinner or to cook during nap time. Or get fat and go broke ordering out every night. I don't like any of those options.
Any tips?

7 comments:

Emily said...

I know!!!!!! my girls get between me and the counter and try to literally push me away from the cooking area. I try to do as much prep as possible during nap time, but unless they are directly involved, that time of day is my least favorite! I made them some playdough, so sometimes I give it to them with butter knives and their tea set and get them to make food along side me. Sometimes it works... sometimes I lose my mind instead.

Christin said...

I'm in the process of trying to track down a bunch of freezer meal recipes that I can spend one Saturday a month fixing up.

lofty goals, have I.

AND I'm trying to learn to use my forgotten crockpot.

But when my oldest girl was really little, I'd tell her that I wasn't speaking to her until she stopped whining. For her, it worked. Not sure if it'll work for #3 and #4...?

Valerie said...

Yeah, we have all been there. Ok, I'm still there.

I tell my kids that I can't understand them when they whine. I might have to say it more than once but it works. I'm not sure if your kiddos are old enough for that. Worth a shot.

That dreaded before dinner hour is rough. Crockpot meals are a big help. Especially if you have a busier day and you are expecting some meltdowns. Do they like to help in the kitchen? When Joseph was little I would plop him in his high chair with some measuring spoons and a small(!) dish of water. I've also done cups of rice or beans that they can sort through. Be prepared for the mess that is sure to come... but you need to choose - mess or quiet. Quiet usually wins for me :)

And ordering pizza every once in awhile is a great idea. :)

karen said...

i have no advice I just wanted to let u know we r going through the same thing and I feel your pain!!

Karenkool said...

GLORY HALLELUJAH!!! Thank you for reminding me of those dreaded daze that are bygone. I always called it the bewitching hour, and it happened just about every night before dinner for years on end.

I am so sorry you have to endure it. But it won't last forever. YAY!

The crockpot is definitely a helpful tool, as is making things in large quantities in advance and having putting things in the freezer for another meal on another week. Meal planning is not my specialty, but Terry is great at planning the meals (on paper as he's ordering the groceries on peapod.com) for the week. It makes a HUGE difference for me every single day, because half of my battle is figuring out what se're going to have for dinner and when I'm going to have time to make it. Whinning kids only makes it the most unpleasant experience. (Caleigh whines occasionally still).

Hang in there, my friend. You are definitely not alone.

Dad/Chuck said...

Keep in mind what you are trying to accomplish. The object of this game is to raise kids who become adults who listen to the Lord and follow Him.
In order for this to happen, they need to learn that THEY(the kids) do not direct the show. YOU (the parent, a type of Christ to them) are in charge. In this case, you simply have to have more endurance than they do, and pretty much ignore the whining and do what you need to do. If they get the idea that you can be manipulated by whining, then you can look forward to a lifetime of whining because kids want what they want and they want it now.
This one is designed to do 2 things. Thing one, teach the kids they are not in charge and Mom cannot be manipulated. Thing two, teach Mom that she can do all things through Christ, who strenghens her.
Keep your eye on the real task here and it will be do-able. Not easier, but do-able.

Jenny said...

Crockpot meals are a life saver. Also you need to read the Girlfriend's Guide to Toddlers (they talk about this meal time meltdown phenomenon). When I used to nanny the woman I worked for called the pre-dinner time the "arsenic hour" teehee.