Saturday, June 20, 2009

Just another grocery shopping war story

Yesterday I remembered why I do not grocery shop with both kids. It raises my blood pressure to an alarming rate. At least it gives me fodder for this blog.

Haven played with (i.e. tormented) Maiya in the car attached to the shopping cart. She screamed while I maniacally attempted to shove the grocery bags into the cart. It seemed like the cashier had put every item in it's own bag. She was stone faced about the shriek Maiya was giving. A few passers by said, "aw, don't cry." Wow, that's really helpful, thank you.

(It was so hectic that I didn't get to enjoy how much I had saved, which is usually the highlight of grocery shopping. Later, though, I celebrated that I had gotten three boxes of brand-name cereal and a gallon of organic milk for five dollars.)

I mean, seriously, there was nobody in that store, employed or not, who could help me for ten seconds of their life? Sometimes I am shocked by the lack of kindness from strangers. Especially when my blood is boiling and I am convinced my stressors are the real problems in the world.

Perhaps, I guess, there is a slight chance that Maiya's cry does not raise blood pressure in every person in the world. Since she isn't their responsibility. Since it isn't their job to assess her cry and meet her needs. But still, somebody could have lent a helping hand. Instead, it felt like everyone was lending a very unhelpful finger.

Just when I was ready to give up on the decency of humanity, an older woman saddled up next to me as we pushed our carts into the parking lot. She told me she had toys for the kids. Toys were not exactly what I needed at the moment, but she was so sincere. Coincidentally, her car was parked next to mine. I unloaded Maiya into her car seat, then Haven to his. Meanwhile, the woman opened her trunk. She looked at me with a twinkle and said, "What would they like?" She had big bags of stuffed animals. My first thought was that I did not want to bring potentially germ-infested stuffed animals from an unknown source into my car or my children's lives, but I chose to look at her gesture as what it was: kind and generous. Just the traits that I needed somebody to possess at that moment.

We drove home with our groceries, a lion, a tiger and a dog that barked the whole way.

8 comments:

Karenkool said...

Peapod.com!! I don't know if you have that service in your area but Terry (the super saver) loves it. He orders all our grocies every week online and they deliver right into the kitchen. It only costs $7 for delivery (and we give a tip). It's groceries right from stop-n-shop.

The story about the stuffed animals is hilarious!

Unknown said...

Kudos to the kind soul who gave the stuffed animals and kudos to you for actually taking them in faith.

And the grocery store deliveries is a great idea; we've done it a few times and love it because you can get exactly what you want and don't have any impulse buys-plus the time you are saving is totally worth the extra fee.

jessica said...

um that was me, Jessica--my friend has been borrowing my computer!!!

Emily said...

oh the joys... people don't want to help anymore, I think it's more that they don't get a warm reception - I guess people are more afraid of germs than they are of bothering others with their kids screams. I try deep breathing techniques while pushing the cart...

Dave said...

That's where that dang dog came from! I was driving out the other morning and had to pull over because of something barking in the back seat. Thought you stole it from Karen or something =)

Dave said...

O, and Jen doesn't like the delivery thing... i still don't understand why. I've explained to her numerous times of how the benefits outweigh the $20 it takes to use the service. But w/e.

Jen said...

I'm not against delivery, but I actually like to grocery shop if I can go alone.

Heather said...

Jen this was tooo funny!! I have been there many a time and I loved the end :) Made me laugh out loud!! I have to agree grocery shopping is wonderful.... when you are alone :)