Friday, August 10, 2007

The Brotherhood.

I rarely mention my brother. Save for the remark about his farts in the previous entry. That, however, refers to years past. Years when we spent so much time together that I knew what his farts smelled like. It refers to the years we spent making up dramas to Carmen's music in which Darin played the devil and I played God. Years when we were rivals. When I babysat him and he ignored my decrees (and many years before that when I trained him to say "Yes, Master" to everything I said). Perfect years when he was a baby and Jes and I made him laugh by singing and dancing. It isn't like that anymore. I rarely mention him to friends. I sometime even use the past tense when I talk about him.


It's hard to explain something you don't understand. So I won't explain, I'll simply describe.


My Dad and brother became Orthodox Christians several years ago. This was quite a departure from the non-denominational environment in which we were raised. My brother spent a couple of summers at a monastery in New York during high school, and when he graduated, he moved there. That was five years ago. He did not come to my wedding. He has short amounts of time he can spend on the phone or during visits. He has stepped out of our lives except for our brief visits that are like tiny one-way mirrors. We see his life when we squint and make a strong effort; he never sees ours.


He plans to become a Monk. Right now he's what we call an MIT (monk in training) and what he and his brotherhood calls a Novice.


He spends his days building the campus of the monastery, he wakes up and prays from midnight to three am, he rarely showers, he does not look in a mirror, he is learning Greek. He wants to know God better and fulfill his call in life (this, at least, sounds familiar).

Wednesday my sister, Jessica, and I took Haven to meet Uncle Darin for the first time. Women have to wear long skirts, long sleeves and head coverings when they visit. We were stubborn about this for the first couple of years, but have since conceded. So, I pulled the car to the side of the road before we turned into the monastery. After I nursed Haven and changed his diaper, Jes and I shimmied into our outfits reminiscent only of mission trips to Mexico. (Even though we felt very covered, Darin got talked to about Jes's neck line and she had to wear a giant button down shirt on loan from a monk. Serious.)


Here is a picture of us taking a walk - you can see my mission-trip outfit. Darin told me to make sure nobody saw that slit in my skirt. Scandalous!


Every time we've visited in the past, we've asked Darin if we could take his picture. This time, I was adamant in my mind. I was getting a picture of Haven with his uncle if I had to take in on the sly with my camera phone. Before I resorted to such a carnal sin at a monastery, I said, "Who do I have to talk to to take your picture, Darin?" By some miracle, this time he got permission to have his picture taken.


So ... we took the opportunity. I set my camera on auto and had it take multiple shots at a time. I have about 50 pictures from our photo shoot. Dave looked through them quickly and felt like he was there; it was like a cartoon book.


Darin laughed and talked about his life and held Haven. He was our brother, as he always is, but we could not take him with us. He talked about the sincerity he feels about life as a Monk. He said he is not making the decision blindly. He said he is happy.


I miss my brother all the time. Aside from the importance of knowing Jesus, my parents instilled in a deep value for family. Our family had some rough patches and sticking together was often what Jes, Rebecca, Darin and I did best. His stepping out of our lives is more bitter than sweet. I respect him, I love him and I'm proud of him. But most days, more than anything, I miss him.

9 comments:

Davene said...

Wow. It's hard to even know what to say in response to this. I guess I'll just say that I really appreciate you opening your heart and sharing such a sensitive topic so...well, sensitively. I know what it's like to not exactly see eye-to-eye with siblings, but to go through that kind of separation from a dearly-loved brother--all in the name of following God--is a different thing completely.

I pray that God's grace and peace will comfort both of you as you journey separately during this time, but ultimately with the same destination.

Anonymous said...

jen, i am more than moved. knowing you and jess, and being a part of your lives during 'the before' and 'the after' of darin's transition in life...and how you and your sisters love him so much....and how you all consistently maintain 'darin' (as your amazing brother/and always will be) is hard to describe...i guess it is the heart to heart bond that you will always have with him...thanx for sharing and i love you much!

Karenkool said...

It's the first picture(s) I've ever seen of your brother. I'm so a happy you insisted. I can feel the pain and imagine the sense of loss... but good for you for being supportive and loving! You always amaze and impress me.

You did have quite the scandalous slit up your skirt!! Gives 'em all something to talk and pray about. ;-D

Anonymous said...

The Bible says "Now we see through a glass darkly"
We do not know the whole story at this point, but someday we will understand it all. This is a great comfort.
Orthodox monks are not like other monks. For an Orthodox monk, his job is to become godly and pray for the whole world.
For 1600 years the Lord has had Orthodox monks praying for this world. Without them, who knows where we would be today.
Suffice it to say, Darin (Moses) is my only son, the end of my family line. He is a monk, and the Kruse name dies with him. It took from the beginning of time until now for the Kruse family to produce a monk, but thank God we have done it.
A fitting end to a honorable family line.

merry said...

Jen, seriously, this made me cry. That is all that I can say.

Christin said...

I'm crying. *shrug* What more can I say?

Jen said...

Jen-
I am just catching up with you after being gone for awhile. I am not sure what to say. I do not have anything real spiritual to say. All I can say is be proud that he is becoming a monk instead of some sort of thug out there on the street. I know it must be hard. You are in my prayers. Its so nice thought that he got to see Haven. Seriously, you have to wear those clothes?! Yikes.

Joanna said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Joanna said...

Very touching, I'm trying to hide my tears from my co-workers...thanks for sharing.