Tuesday, November 13, 2007

notes to myself on future moves.

This was my first time moving an entire family. It went well, but I'd like to remember the following next time:

  • Try to avoid moving when your child is going through the separation anxiety phase.
  • Pack everything before moving day.
  • Start packing at least 6 weeks before moving day, no matter how much you can't believe that you're getting a new house.
  • Pack a bag of stuff you will need right away (e.g. toothbrush, clean underwear, diapers) so that you are not digging through the mound of boxes for the bare necessities.
  • Hire somebody to clean the old place, you won't feel like doing it yourself at all.
  • Ask somebody to babysit your child/children for the entire day.
  • Get a Rx for Xanax in advance (just kidding, mostly).
  • Plan to feed everyone lunch and dinner, moving takes a while.
  • Schedule a full massage for a couple of days after moving.
  • Schedule a vacation for about a month after moving.
  • Say yes to everyone who offers to help. Beg people who don't offer.
  • Don't be a pack rat.
  • Keep your eye on the prize.
  • Be nice, even when you're tired and stressed.

5 comments:

Christin said...

GREAT tips. I hope tons of people getting ready to move come across this! Because looking back, you think these are "duh" things. But in the midst of it, you just don't think along these lines. You just think "if it moves, box it." and nothing beyond that.

FYI...we did McD's almost EVERY day when we moved (which was progressive since we were fixing it up for 2months before/as we moved in). So to add to that list:

give yourself grace if every meal is take out for the next few weeks. Your sanity will thank you.

Sylvia said...

Don't be a pack rat?! That is something I am still trying to give up. Every year we go through this pile of boxes. Stuff that we don't really use, but don't want to get rid of either. YUCK! Why do we feel the need to keep that crap? I will never know. I try to diminish the amount a little every year. Silly, but I think everyone does it. Glad you are moved to your new place. Remember take it one box at a time!!!

Foxy5 said...

I'm with you on hiring someone else to clean the old house. I've already decided that we're going to do that when we move out of this place.
I'm so excited for you. Soon the chaos of boxes will diminish and you will look around at think "wow, I am HOME"
and I'll patiently wait until then to see all the pictures of your beautiful new house. :)
Happy unpacking

Karenkool said...

Oh, I could have told you all of that, Jen!!! hahah We're you looking for suggestions?? Would it have made things less stressful?

It's a known fact that the best way to move is have a moving company come and do the entire thing for you, top to bottom. THAT I would know NOTHING about! But my mom says it's the ONLY way to go. (Of course, they've moved about 25 times--never locally and only had one move done professionally). Go figure.

I'm glad Nate and Terry were able to help out. I can't wait to visit.

Jolanthe said...

I so really dislike moving. :) We've done it twice since getting married, and will more than likely again in a year. Last time we were expecting our second child and we filled a HUGE moving van. Now we have 4 and I shudder at the thought of how much stuff we have accumulated in the 5 years since our last move. I can think of so many things that sound like more fun that moving right now...sigh.