Friday, July 27, 2007

What I know of marriage. For my sisters.

I know that it is imperitive that you marry the right person. Make sure your souls match. Yes, you'll know.

I know that to be quick to say "I was wrong" and quick to say "I forgive you" is foundational.

I know that to believe the best about the other person equals love and trust. An example of this is attributing the other person's lateness to traffic and not to their disregard for you.

I know that sharing goals, faith and life plans makes for a journey you can both look forward to with anticipation and look back on with pride.

I know that some days you cannot keep your hands off of eachother and other days you both just want a sweat-pants-wearing, movie-watching, pizza-eating pal. I know this is healthy.

I know that honesty (through words!) is the only way to help the other person undertand you. Yes, even when your souls match.

I know that it is worth it to wait until you're married to have sex.

I know that it is important to laugh together.

I know that it is important to maintain your own interests and remain two individuals in even the closest bond. For the closests bond.

I know that it is important to think of marriage, and life, as an adventure that is a collision of the breathtaking, the sublime and the compromises.

I know that I want you to know love.

5 comments:

merry said...

Right on. Especially about the some days that you just want a movie watching buddy.It is healthy and doesn't reflect your attraction to each other.

Jen said...

I agree Jen! Great post! A lot of girls just dream about the wedding and not the marriage. It makes me sad that when the going gets tough, the couple gets going, seperate ways most of the time. Marriage is all about compromise on both parts. You should add that something about having to share the remote. That is my downfall.

Christin said...

I love your r'ships with your sisters. Even if I only "view" it on paper. But it DOES remind me of my girls. And I can definitely see Charis (my oldest) filling the sweet-hearted role that you just took.

So how about you and your entire family just move down here? So I can watch your sisterly dynamic. And so you could add Haven to our massive baby group. Sure you'd have to uproot your lives, but... I DO live in Mayberry, remember?

Tempted? I'll start looking for a house as soon as you give me the okay. Yes yes...I am THAT thoughtful.

Anonymous said...

I like a lot Jen =) Thanks for sharing your marriage experiences and what you've learned with us. I pray to be as happy in my marriage as you are in yours :)
-Bec

Karenkool said...

Love it! Awesome words of wisdom!