Monday, July 02, 2007

Relief and rest

Dana, a long-time friend of mine got married on Friday. We had a fun day getting dressed and over-smiling for pictures. Dana was stunning and happy and adorable. I missed my boys; Dave at Creation with our youth group and Haven home with my mom.

Our whole week was off. The routine was out the window since Dave was away, Haven got sick and and my mom and sister were around to watch Haven while I was at my internship. Haven cried a lot, he gave me the cold shoulder when I finally came home after my internship on Saturday, he woke up multiple times in the night. I had to remember to breath and to eat. I'm still catching up on it all.

In the chaos of life, it's wonderful to have friends who bring out the laughter. Patti, a close friend of mine, has a daughter who is almost exactly 2 years older than Haven. We've decided one day they might fall in love.

"Here's the next wedding." At the wedding reception on Friday, I produced a picture of her daughter and Haven. We then planned their future. They would live with her parents half the year and with Dave and me half the year. For their honeymoon, we'd go on a big family vacation. We would be those moms who never let go. We were hysterical, tears running down my face.

Then, during the mother-son dance, sad tears ran down my cheeks as I thought about my little guy all grown up one day, dancing with me at his own wedding. I'm going to have to write a song that encompasses how I feel because I don't think there is one out there. I just love that tiny little dude. He's such a peanut and such a hero, all in one.

Our family is back together. Dave made it home complete with a great tan and serious exhaustion. Haven and I just stared at him most of the night.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

.....and they ALL lived happily ever after.....in a big huge house on the lake.....a vacation home in the carribean.....a ski resort in colorado.....what bliss...congrats to haven and abbagael and dave and jen and jim and patti and........

Anonymous said...

.....i laughed till i cried friday night....as we planned haven and abbagael future.....that wasn a blast....thanks Jen....watch out for the outrageous mother-in-laws....

Davene said...

When I'm holding my boys in my arms, I OFTEN think of how I'll surely feel on their wedding day. How DO mothers let their sons grow up and get married??? :)

Karenkool said...

"I'm going to have to write a song that encompasses how I feel because I don't think there is one out there. I just love that tiny little dude."

I had these similar feelings as well--although my boys never really came to mind--it was more for my girls (namely Anika) over the past two weekends. My heart crept to my throat a few times watching my all-growed-up-youth-group-girl, Lauren, get married... and then the following wknd Terry's neice. I think it could be a while for the boys to find there way to marraige--and yet it'll probably be sooner than Haven and Abbagael tie the knot.

I'm glad you guys had such a great time.

Awww... Dana's all married now. Then comes Jr. in the baby carriage! hee