Monday, October 29, 2007

You can take my tylenol, you can take my cough syrup, but you won't take my bumbo!

What is with all of the recalls on baby stuff lately? If they all stem from the same reason as the Bumbo recall, somebody needs to initiate a parent recall.

First of all, the Bumbo is this genius little seat from Australia that came out a couple of years ago. It helps infants learn to sit up, it gives them an upright place to play and takes up very little space. Janet gave one to us when Haven was about 4 weeks old and he's always liked it, which means I like it.

There is now a voluntary recall on the product because - my fury is building - parents place their children in the seat on a table top and walk away. The kid doesn't have to be too big to be able to get out of the seat and 28 children have suffered head and neck injuries from falling off of the table. Dave's mom called me the other day to tell me about the recall and after a quick internet search I realized we'd be okay to keep it since I don't let Haven play alone (or at all...) on top of the table.


Here is more info.
Here is a funny commentary about the recall.

6 comments:

Karenkool said...

The Bumbo is not for the common bimbo! So remember that.

Foxy5 said...

Hannah got a bumbo for Christmas last year. It is a wonderful invention. I stopped using it when she got squirmy in there. I couldn't imagine putting a baby in there and walking away. sounds like a round of parenting classes in needed instead of a recall.

merry said...

seriously, I hope they don't stop selling the bumbo. I have always thought they were cool. In fact, I wish they made adult bumbos and adult boppys...and adult diapers...oh wait.

Christin said...

Unbelievable. People seem to have lost their minds. And the government funds it. Crazy.

Jen said...

I have never heard of this! I wish we would of had this when my kids were little. I love Karen's comment, how true. I can't believe a parent would leave them alone on top of the table. What next, leaving them in the tub to see if they sink or swim by themselves. Before you know it, there will be a recall on tubs and hopefully stupid parents.

Sylvia said...

I agree totally. What kind of parent LEAVES the child on the counter and walks away. I must admit I DID put Caiyah in it on the counter, but only while I was right there watching her. People are just brilliant aren't they?!