Sunday, May 13, 2007

Mother's Day


Last Mother's day I was on a cruise somewhere between New York city and Bermuda, wondering if I was pregnant. I was desperately hungry but I chalked it up to the nature of a cruise vacation. Turns out, I could have chalked it up to a second mouth to feed, because today there is a little babbling munchkin on my right, playing in his swing. A couple of days after we returned from vacation the EPT gave a two clear lines. So today, really, is my second Mother's day.


When I was growing up, Mother's day was hikes and homemade cards. I'm not sure we gave our Mom what she deserved, but really, what she deserved was more than we could have given. After being a mom for three short months, I already realize that motherhood is significantly less about being rewarded than it is about finding the reward. While Haven's existence brings me great joy, I am here for him exponentially more than he is here for me. I do not sleep at night so that I can sit him up when he coughs, squeegee his nose, change his diapers and feed him with the hope that ultimately he will get a couple hours of sleep. Dave and I have less money and less time alone so that we can nurture this child. However, I am renewed, satisfied even, with one turn up of his lips. That smile is my reward.

3 comments:

Karenkool said...

Maybe one Mother's day you will reap the greater rewards of mothering when Daddy helps Haven superclean your car for a nice surprise!! ;-)

Karenkool said...

We need to go on another cruise!

Jen said...

Hi Jennifer! Thanks for visiting my blog! Children are a great reward. I once read that if a mom was paid for all the different jobs she did such as cooking, cleaning, babysitting, lawyer, counselor, nurse, chef, maid, so on and so on, her annual salary would be $700,000! The greatest reward though is to hear "Mommy, I love you" or "Mommy, you are my best friend". Enjoy every moment because before you know it, little Haven will be a teenager sneaking out. Right Karen?! ;)