Monday, September 10, 2007

Before it ends up in the recycling box...

We receive soliciations for donations almost every day. Somehow we got on a mailing list of people who donated to a charity and thus the word spread. Most of the time, honestly, I throw the mailings away. We simply don't have enough to give to every charity in the world without becoming a charity case ourselves. There are some, however, that catch my eye. Justice for Children International is one of them.

This agency "works toward the abolition of child sex trafficking and exploitation through aftercare, prevention and advocacy" (jfci.org). Sexual abuse of children is one thing that is taboo around the globe. I don't believe there is a single culture where it is condoned. However, in the sub-culture of human trafficking it is very much in existence and people are making millions on it. It more than disgusts me, it makes me want to take action.

The Lifetime channel showed a film, Human Trafficking, in the last couple of years. If you're interested you might be able to find it through the search function on Tivo or at Blockbuster. It was a 2-part series and since it was made-for-tv it's not extremely graphic. (It lacks the cheesey element typically offered by the Lifetime channel too.) Also, for those of you I know from DTS, Lamont - our worship leader - is a co-founder of the ministry.

I'll say more about this as I figure out why I'm so drawn to this particular issue. (God, is that you?) For now, though, there is plenty of reading on their website. http://www.jfci.org/

No comments: