Tuesday, September 04, 2007

my words exactly, don.

I'm still reading this book, but I have to recommend it now. Because you need to read it now. If you can't see the subtitle, it is Nonreligious thoughts on Christian Spirituality. You know how it feels to spend time with people you know are super healthy and a great influence? Reading this book is like that. It's like curling your hands around a mug of coffee and nodding as your eccentric friend tells you what they've been thinking lately. It feels good and feels like a challenge.

Don Miller writes about the way Christians have messed up the name of Jesus and ways we can start to mend that. He talks about his own walk through Christianity. He candidly explains the ups and downs in the development of his own relationship with Jesus. He is very open and vulnerable, but what I like even more, is that he does not act like he came up with the answers himself. It is all turned back to God. It's like, God is good. We're the ones that often misundertand him and reflect him poorly.

My favorite story so far, is when he and his friends set up a "Confession Booth" in the middle of a massive campus-wide college party weekend. When people came to the confession booth, Don and his friends confessed the ways they themselves had failed to show the love of Jesus and the truth about God. They apologized for distorting the image of Jesus. They became humble, while many times we as Christians arrogantly inform people we have the truth. To whom would you be more attracted? I'd listen to the humble guy.

If you're up for a heart warming and challenging book, go buy:


Blue Like Jazz
by Don Miller

3 comments:

Davene said...

Thanks for the recommendation! I will add it to my (ever expanding!) must-read list.

If my memory is correct, all the current students and faculty of the college I graduated from read that book together one semester. Based on that and now your recommendation, I know it's got to be good!

Christin said...

Wow. So what was the outcome of the confession booth?! Or are you going to make me wait and find out myself? because...that make take years. So come on. Clue a girl in. What happened next? :)

Karenkool said...

LOOVVVVEEEED that book! And went on to read all of his others! I really enjoy his writing style and his message.