Friday, September 28, 2007

a little introspection

I am earning my money this week. I've been training my replacement; a very cheerful, optimistic woman who comes early and stays late. She makes lists of questions for me. (Turns out I know more than I thought.) My clients will be in good - non-burnt-out - hands. After her interview, my boss told me about how hopeful and happy this woman is, I simply said, "Give her time." My boss didn't think that was too funny. But it was.

I sometimes wonder what this job has done to me. Watching people go through a social service system is taxing. Interacting with underpaid, underqualified staff (from other agencies, of course) is frustrating. It is impossible to maintain a "reach for the stars" mentality when your job is to determine a person's vocational potential. I know I was not this practical four years ago when I stumbled off my college campus into this job. I thought the world of the world. I was confident I could improve society.

I still love my internship and I think marriage and family counseling is more my forte than is rehabilitation counseling. I would love to work in a Christian counseling center and eventually open my own practice.

I guess career is on my mind. As I cut down my hours at work, and eventually eliminate them, I am reminded of things I do like about human services. The key is to do what you can. No, it's to do what you are supposed to do. What you are meant to do. What has God has called you to do with your days? I've come to the conclusion that every profession is a helping profession. Every piece of our lives is a outlet to show love, forgiveness, peace. I want to remember that throughout my career as a counselor, as a mother, as a person.

3 comments:

Karenkool said...

"Give her time." hahaha that was funny. I remember when you first started that job and were really, really excited and happy and enjoying it. I think you grew--and when we grow we need new stuff that fits better. You are amazing, Jen. I'm sure you will continue impacting people everywhere you go.

Tracy said...

Hi. I saw your comment on another blog and came over to check you out!

I was intruged by the fact that you are in counseling. Our church just bought a piece of property to turn into a place to help families in crisis. There is a link on my site if you want to check it out.

We are in NY too, but way up in the Adirondack Mountains!

My husband and I are also in the process of dealing with social workers for the first time. We are taking foster parenting classes and it is showing me these people have a really tough job!!

Christin said...

Hey you! ;)

I, too, understand the whole realm of burn out. Especially as it pertains to our field of counseling. People tend to be so pessimistic AND completely inept of believing the Lord for anything that the DSMV doesn't specify as possible.

But thankfully people like YOU are still in it. Believing Him...trusting Him...being His hands to a broken world.

You have such a healthy attitude. May God met you in that place and stir up the miraculous!!