Monday, September 17, 2007

Thanks for the input!

Last week I asked what other parents did to help their children fall asleep independently. It was supremely helpful mostly because it was great to know that we are not the only parents who are struggling.

Despite my curiosity as to what other parents found to work, I wasn't ready to do much. Mostly because I decided my only recourse was letting Haven cry it out. At Christin's suggestion, I did start to bring a stuffed monkey to hang out with us while I nursed Haven to sleep. I sort of forced the thing on him and he was not too interested.

However, after several hour-plus go-to-bed sessions I decided I was ready for some alone time with Dave and a semblance of a nigh time routine for Haven. I decided I was ready. To let Haven cry.

We have let him cry before. Once for an entire hour. After that, I thought that crying led to sleep as a rainbow leads to a pot of gold. We started Saturday's cry session with a let's-see-what-happens mentality. Davene, your quote of the verse that says, "No discipline is pleasant in the moment..." played over and over in my mind.

Dave and I were cleaning out the attic. Don't worry. We didn't miss out on any of the heart-wrenching sobs permeating our apartment. We just got to do two fun things at once: sort through our junk and listen to our little guy scream.

It took us about an hour to get through half of the attic (in our defense, it's a huge walk-up attic). Dave left to take a carload of crap to the Salvation Army and I planned to go rescue Haven from his misery. Just as I approached his door the sobbing started to dwindle. A few silent seconds passed, then more crying erupted. I thought maybe, just maybe, this child is getting tired. He cried intermittently for another half hour while I sat stiff as a board listening from the living room. By the time Dave got home, Haven was just about asleep.

Once sweet silence entered the apartment, I crept into Haven's room. He was pushed all the way to the corner of the crib, his head nestled there. His blanket was balled up in anger. The "comfort" monkey was upside down in mockery. But sleep. There was independent sleep.

Sunday night I started a little ritual. A few books. Nursing. Diaper change. Pajamas. Pray. Here's the monkey, oh, you don't care, here he is anyway. Good night. He only cried for twenty minutes and then I found him asleep, with the monkey, whom we call Dangles by the way, peacefully next to him.

Here's hoping this is the beginning of a smooth transition to a big boy bedtime routine.

4 comments:

Joanna said...

Good for you! Nicolas is so good when it comes to going to sleep, but I can tell already that Cristian is going to be very different. He fights his sleep! Why? "Sleep is good, sleep is wonderful, sleep will make you a big strong boy..." He just doesn't believe me right now...
Anyway, good for you!

Foxy5 said...

Woo-hoo!! Good for Haven (and you!) Such a big step. I have been trying to talk myself into letting Hannah cry too... I mean she is just days shy of turning 1. I've tried it before... but with all of the problems we are having with Joseph right now I think she's going to have to tough it out for a few nights. We have a noise machine... but I am on the look out for a LOUD one. We had a plumber here to fix our sink the other day and 5 seconds of some drill snake thing a ma jig and she was out.

Oh, so happy for you and your sleeping little man. :) Good job.

Karenkool said...

Awesome work, mama. I couldn't give any suggestions on that earlier post, because I blocked all of those crying-days-sleepless-nights completely out of my mind. (or did I comment?? I don't think I did).

Hurray for Mommy and Daddy. Hurray for Dangles. Hurray for Haven. Hurray!!!

Christin said...

Sweet!! He only cried for 20 minutes the second night!!? Jen, that is amazing!!! You go, supermom!