Tuesday, June 19, 2007

house hunt.

We've darkened the door of a few open houses, but yesterday Dave and I decided to apply for a mortgage. After a long, long phone conversation - in which I handed over all kinds of information - the mortgage guy (what's the real title?) said, "All you have to do is find a house. You could be in in 30 days." I may not be real estate savy, but I have seen enough of our friends buy homes to know there's no way we will be in a house in 30 days. Whatever dude, thanks for the loan approval, why don't you show me how I'm gonna find and move into a house in 30 days? Are you packing up my junk?

I have mentioned before that our area has high real estate prices. Really outrageous to this Delaware native. We live in one of the top ten richest counties in the country (don't be fooled - we aren't rich, we just see people at the grocery store who are). So last night Dave and I huddled around our laptop and sifted through homes for hours. It went something like this:

Me: Ooh, click on that one!
Dave: It's a shack.
Me: Who cares? It's in our price range.

I imagine we'll end up in a fixer-upper. Or a doll house. That's ok. We've already established that we don't need much space and we could learn to do home improvements. This whole home-buying thing might take us a long time, but we're excited to start looking around.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jen, I'm laughing as I read this... You are certainly my daughter, that sounds like something I would say, or have already said.

Stolmit said...

I'm impressed and a bit envious. Really. As you may know I live in the city and buying an apartment here is so out of the question for me. I don't think I could even buy something in Texas or Iowa right now. The thought of having, you know owning, my very own home sounds so inviting. I'm very happy for you both. I'm sure you'll find a great place.

Anonymous said...

I am so excited at the thought of you guys doing this!! Its awesome to be a homeowner and know its yours :) (yea i know i've only been one for a couple month) But its home!!

Christin said...

I vote for the fixer upper. It's fun to watch something become beautiful. It's hard but it's GOOD!! just make sure the foundation is, without question, in good condition. We've bought three fixer uppers. One had a bad foundation. It made EVERYTHING else ridiculously hard to repair.
I'm excited for you guys!!!
HUGS!