Friday, June 08, 2007

a teeny tiny light at the end of the long, narrow tunnel

I think that all of this work and sacrifice is going to yield a career that I find more fulfilling than cleaning behind my toilet (see previous entry if you're confused). Oh goody.


My night at my internship went so well. Well, my first client was a no-show. Rats. Was it something I said? Did I piss you off by saying you need to get your friggin' act together? NO - I didn't say anything like that.


Anyway, my next client showed up (this is an important part of the therapeutic process). Obviously I can't go into much detail whatsoever, but the session went so well. You can learn all of the empathathic responses and have plenty of book-knowledge, but having a natural connection with a client can't be taught or formulated. I felt like I got what she was saying, I could take a couple of steps in her shoes - even though we are different in many ways. She looked touched and relieved as she left. She looked like she had been heard.


I cried a little bit on the way home. Maybe, just maybe, little old me will be able to help somebody work through the crap that life sometimes presents. Maybe I'll be able to help somebody see a little more clearly. Maybe walk with less of a limp. Maybe this is so worth it.

4 comments:

Christin said...

YES!!!! Even though I was called OUT of that field for, at least, the time being...my heart's desire remains the same. To do what you describe. So it's REALLY good for me to hear YOU describe it and succeed in it. Kind of makes ME feel good. crazy, huh?

Karenkool said...

Awesome! Woohoo! YAY!

Davene said...

Good for you! So glad to hear an encouraging report!!!

My hubby and I have worked in full-time ministry in the past--both here and abroad--and many, many, many times I wished that I had more education and experience in the "counseling" field. I often felt so helpless to help women going through unimaginably difficult circumstances. I'm so glad that you can help them!

Anonymous said...

I have no doubt that you will not only change the life of one person, but of so many more than that! You've got a GIFT Jen, and don't let your busy schedule let you forget that :)

-Bec