Monday, June 18, 2007

What do I do all day?

Non profit. That's my industry. The term non profit essentially means that there is a cap on how much money the agency can make annually and for that the government gives all sorts of tax breaks. It also means everybody is there to try to make the world better. (I say can't we help the world and make a profit at the same time? But that's another story.) I've worked at one for just about four years.

The agency where I work is comitted to helping individuals with disabilities receive job training and gain competitive employment. When I tell people what I do, they usually consider it and then admit they had no idea there were places like that. We have two departments - one for finding jobs, one for training for jobs. The first department consists of a team of people who go to retail stores and talk to managers about hiring our clients. Sometimes we will "create" a job for somebody by noticing something that needs to be done and suggesting they hire one of our guys to do it. The second department is where clients come to work and learn everyday if they are not yet ready for a job in the community. We train them by giving them production work (such as colating, bagging, cleaning small items), we run groups on social skills and offer day-to-day counseling. I work in the second department.

I have a caseload of about 40 people with all types of disabilities, including neurological (eg Autism), psychiatric (eg Schizophrenia), cognitive (eg Mental Retardation), and physical (eg Cerebral Palsy). Most of them have more than one disability. I'm responsible to help them make long term plans for work and prepare for those goals. I also deal with interpersonal problems, medical emergencies, referals, transportation issues and do some group counseling. All of this boils down to stacks of paperwork, a bunch of band aides and maxims gallore.

Have you heard the story about the person who was throwing starfish back into the ocean, one by one from a mound that had washed up on shore? Another person walked by and said, "There are so many, there is no way you could make a difference." The person picked up another starfish, threw it back into the ocean and said, "It made a difference to that one." That's how I have to live my life. In this field there are few revolutions, but there are baby steps. In my job, specifically, we celebrate the smallest improvement, like when my Autistic client came to my office to say hello one morning - (Autism greatly impacts social skills, so in the grand scheme of his life, this is a big deal).

I never thought I'd find myself working with people with disabilities but I've gleaned so many things from this job - patients, experience, a working knowledge of "the system" (not sure I should count that one as a plus, though). When I complain about it, I'm forgetting the bigger picture. It's difficult and it's easy. It's frustrating and it's calming. The dichotomy of the day to day here is what has kept me coming back for more.

(I will write about Father's day soon ... but it will be late. Like my Dad and father-in-law's cards, which are still on our kitchen table.)

5 comments:

Davene said...

I LOVE hearing about what people do all day. I can easily corner people and ask them all the intricate details of their jobs...like when a friend of mine who is a flight attendant visited me, I asked her hundreds of questions about her job. I think part of it comes from my wish to actually DO all these jobs--at least, for a few days! :)

Thanks for sharing what you do. I take my hat off to you for your contribution to some of the down-and-outers of our society!

Karenkool said...

I remember when you first started working there and how exciting and adventurous it was early on. It's really great to hear you share the bigger picture. Sometimes it truly helps to "remember" what it's really about... take for instance PARENTING TEENS! ;-D

Karenkool said...

I didn't really make any sense in the previous comment. Just consider it as coming from a very tired person who needs a few more hours of sleep before clicking the "publish your comment" button. Thanks.

Jen said...

Davene ~ feel free to drop by and get a taste of my job! (:

Karen ~ you made sense to me,maybe I'm as sleep deprived as you are.

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad I took the time to read this entry. Out of all your entries this was the one I needed to read. I think what you do is so valuable beyond comprehension. Thank you for blogging about your work.